Friday 10 September 2010

Persuasion (2007)

Persuasion is not one of my favourite Austen stories, but it's a good story and I enjoyed the 1995 version of the film. This version, however, is absolutely horrible. Many of the more recent (made in the 2000's) BBC adaptations to Austen novels have been more... artsy than previous interpretations of the novels, and to date I've enjoyed them. Sense and Sensibility was really well done, the older version of Emma was better but the 2000 one was still good. But Persuasion is where they drop the ball. This is more of an art film than it is a period piece and was almost painful to sit through. I found myself so bored at some points that I would think back to how the 1995 version did it and compare them just to keep occupied. There are so many over played emotions that are lost to the plot because the cameraman was given too much artistic liberty and you get lost in the angles and lenses instead of the plot and characters, and not in the good way.

All I can say is that, if you have watched this film and haven't seen the version with Amanda Root as Anne, go watch it. She is not as pretty as the actress in this film, but Anne isn't supposed to be a world renown beauty, she's rather plain. It's a much better adaptation than this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment