Tuesday 25 August 2009

Alphabet Of Thorn by Patricia Mckillip

 I think that this is one of the better written books I've had an opportunity to come in contact with, her writing style is just amazing. I mean, no offence, but the plot is not the most fascinating I've come across. It's focus is on a librarian who's trying to translate a book written in some foreign language. Kind of dry sounding. But the author does a phenomenal job at capturing a sense of passion and obsession that one can't help but get drawn in to.
 

My one complaint about this author in general is that her books are kind of detached from the reader, distant in a way. It's not so much that I don't care about what happens, but that I'm just not given enough information to be able to assess the situation in depth. On the other hand, this quality gives a lot of her books an air of mystery and unpredictability. Like the detachment you feel on a rainy day, where things are kind of surreal and you don't feel quite connected to the world, feeling like you're interacting with the world from another place, not your own body. So while this is a negative, in certain moods I do enjoy it because of that almost dream like approach. Unique to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment