Tuesday 4 August 2009

Vampire Journals (1997)

Well, I'd say I'm kind of into the vampire scene. It's not my number one obsession, but I do appreciate a good vampire story. This movie was, well just OK. This movie wasn't really fresh, the 'vampire who cares about what he's eating' character seems to be explored a lot, so I kind of knew what was coming, but this wasn't what held it back from being great. What I didn't like was the fact that at the end of the movie I was still waiting for something to happen. The movie spends too much time introducing the characters and the setting and not enough actually dealing with what it has created. Basically I didn't really feel connected to any of the characters, enough so that the achieving or failure of achieving their goals were irrelevant to me. Right now if I was asked, 'Who is Zachery?' I would know who he is from the stereotypes surrounding that character type, but the movie didn't go into enough detail concerning his personality, his motives, his history... I could have told you who Zachery was without watching the movie. 

Basically the characters were kind of flat.

And the movie is all suspense, but the ending isn't a sufficient catharsis. Maybe because I wasn't that drawn into the characters the ending didn't quite satisfy me. There wasn't enough happening in the story, or more, what was happening wasn't fleshed out to its full potential, leaving me wanting more... but not in a good way.

Aside from my criticisms however, the movie is worth viewing and isn't that bad. The music was alright and the costumes weren't bad. The setting wasn't too bad either. The atmosphere was appropriate I think. All in all worth a watch.



No comments:

Post a Comment