Tuesday 1 September 2009

The Wild Irish: A Novel Of Elizabeth I And The Pirate O’malley by RobinMaxwell

I got this book anticipating adventure, excitement.. something amazing. Two powerful and notable women from English/ Irish history are coming together, there's potential for a great story. Instead this book was written like a documentary... a very slow paced documentary. I lost interest after the first couple of chapters but dragged myself to the halfway mark, and at that point I could care less about the characters and wasn't at all involved in the story line, so dropped it for something better. History is such a fascinating topic but is destroyed for a lot of people by teachers who make it very much less than it should be. Because of my expectations, this book was the equivalent of that teacher.

As I do enjoy the actual history, I suppose I could see how someone could get something out of the book... not too much, but something about two notable historical women. This is definitely isn't my ideal for a good fiction book, nor a good representation of stories and historical figures who were actually extremely fascinating and worth writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment