Tuesday 1 September 2009

Wild Rain by Christine Feehan

This book is about a woman who goes down to South America, in the jungle, to escape from certain complications in her life. She somehow or another ends up in this house, gets her leg half chewed off by some jaguar and is forced to let a hot stranger take care of her. And it's a paranormal romance, so I guess you'll find out in what respect if you chance upon picking it up.

I guess I should start off by saying I'm not that big a romance reader. I'm not a fan of the caliber of writing and feel that most books like this attempt to pass off a bad storyline/ writing ability with emotional angst and sex, and from what I've read of the genre, most books fill this profile. But they're read anyways. This book also falls under this category as I felt the author developed the characters very hastily and for the purpose of heightening the sexual tension rather than general progression of the story and characters, but then again this is a romance I guess and the whole point of the story. This is more my personal discontent with reading books like these... not really specific to this book, that is to say that when I picked up this book I expected this level of writing (was hoping for a higher lever... but no) and am not overly outraged at finding such.

What I did find successful about the book was that the author did keep me wanting to know what happened next. This book was better than some others I've read in the genre and I think that this author is more affective than some other romance authors out there. She captures a sense of possession well, or I guess I should say a desire for possession. And she isn't too bad with words either, not to say she's a master wordsmith, but it successfully fills the qualifications of the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment