Thursday 16 July 2009

Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya

I enjoyed reading this series. The story is about a girl who stumbles upon the family secret of the most popular boy in school, which is that certain members of the family change into the animals of the chinese zodiac when hugged by a member of the opposite sex.

The reception of this manga is mixed, and depending on who you talk to they either loved it or didn't. I liked it. I thought Torhu was a strong heroine, though this isn't blatantly apparent (though I think that the whole idea behind inner strength is that it happens inside of you, so it might not be that readily apparent to onlookers). She has a quiet strength and is the rock that holds everyone together. 

I thought that the characters were well done too. The manga was long enough to go in depth on most, if not all of the characters which made the story line pleasingly complex and intricate.
 

I'm loved the ending, I thought it was really cute, and actually, this is one of the cleanest manga I've ever read. Most mangas directed at an audience over the puberty line are all about romance and relationships, if shoujo, or have the girls in suggestive clothing, if shounen. This one's a shoujo and though there's romance in it, that isn't the focus, the curse is. So I guess its one of the refreshing ones, as it still manages to pull off a great storyline with compelling characters. It's one of my favourite mangas ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment