Thursday 9 July 2009

Sense and Sensibility (2008)

I haven't read Sense and Sensibility, and I guess I should say I have no intention to, though it is a good story. I have seen the previous sense and sensibility with Kate Winslet though, so while I have something to hold this movie up to, I don't have the original story under my belt and can't compare one to the other. 

I thought this movie did a great job. The previous movie had a good cast and was well done, but I'd have to say that I think I like this one more. The cinematography really drew you into the story and made the story line so much more realistic and palpable. At the beginning I wasn't too sure about it as there were a lot of weird angles, like they were trying to create one of those weird art movies (which I love.. and that'd actually be a great project) but after the first 5- 10 minutes the story and presentation became less choppy and more, well I guess real. And because of this I think, I felt I knew the sister's better than I did from watching the other movie, even though I've watched that one several times and this one only once. They just got it right. The lighting, the angles... there were some points in the movie where they just got a really pretty shot of one of the actresses and I'd just stop and think, wow she looks really pretty there, and then the story would continue. The scenery was beautiful as well. my favourite shot scenery wise is when Marianne is sitting by the stream reading and there's that little waterfall.

I enjoy the people cast for the previous movie and think they're good at what they do, but I think this cast better suits the characters (though Winslet played a really great Marianne). I felt the relationships a bit more, and the situational misfortune a lot more. Both movies are good though, and both should be seen. This one does a lot more for me visually though.


No comments:

Post a Comment