Thursday 16 July 2009

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

I enjoyed Twilight and was really looking forward to the sequel, but I was very disappointed in this book. The only thing this installment in the series did for me was to lower my opinion of the heroine Bella. Her actions in this novel showed her to be selfish and weak, characteristics I didn't pick up as strongly in the first novel, but now that this side of her was brought to my attention, I can think back to the first book to instances were she displayed these characteristics. The author is good at developing plot, but the characterization doesn't really do anything for me, I feel no connection to the characters and by the time I was three quarters through the novel I really wished Bella would grow a back bone and stop being so superficial. The relationship Bella has to other supporting characters is very weak, though it is emphasized in a way that would suggest it being something more substancial. She selfishly seeks Jake's company so that she can 'hear' Edward, and then all of a sudden he's her best friend... of course she has no friends in this installment so its true, but being together for a few weeks won't make you someone's bosom buddy, well it could, but I didn't feel it in this instance. things like that. 

Also, everything was so dramatic for Bella in this book. I mean its great to place emphasis on emotion, but there is such a thing as going over board to the point of superficiality, to where you start to doubt the character... not something you want. And I hate the superficial 'caring and worrying over others'. That is a valid characteristic that can be pulled off wonderfully, but not when the character, on the same page, will be rudely selfish and uncaring about those around her. And on that note, I dislike how the author makes Bella solve situations. Bella is portrayed to be intellectually disecting the problem and finding the 'obvious' and best solution that all the other characters go along with because of its brilliance. And most of the time her 'intelligence' makes no sense, as the solution is most likely based on emotion, which is fine, so long as it isn't passed off as intelligence.
 

That said, the story is good and it is only the character that gets on my nerves, and that is because everything was dragged out for so long, but thankfully the characterizations are not all the book is comprised of. It took me until I was half finished the book to realize that I was somewhat upset with the main character, the plot is very good and worth reading. I will read the third book, granted not with the same enthusiasm with which I began the second, but I will read it and look forward to an interesting ending. And hope that the main character will shape up and stop clinging to every available male.

No comments:

Post a Comment